This fall favorite is such a delight and very easy to make. The whole process takes less than an hour. For a slightly sweeter taste you can add cinnamon instead of nutmeg or both equal parts.
- 4 pounds butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup half and half
- cayenne, black pepper and table cream to garnish
- Use a large saucepan to heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 medium sized onion, coarsely chopped and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 garlic cloves; sliced, dried thyme, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Season with salt and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add cubed butternut squash, chicken broth, water and half and half.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until squash is tender.
- Puree in a blender until smooth. It is best to work in small batches to eliminate big chunks.
- Serve hot; garnish with cayenne, black pepper and table cream.
Yields : 8 servings