In this post we will cover how to prep, roast, and puree a pumpkin and how to prep and roast the pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin Roasting and Pumpkin Puree
- Take the washed pumpkin and trim a side in order to place the pumpkin securely in its side.
- Remove the stem.
- Split the pumpkin in half from stem to bottom.
- Remove the seeds and stringy-bits with hands or a fork/spoon. Set the seeds aside
- Salt the inside of the pumpkin and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake at 400F until a knife can pierce the pumpkin easily, about 35 minutes
- Let the cooked pumpkin cool completely, at least an hour, before peeling away the skin
- Cut the cooked pumpkin into cubes and process in a blender or food processor
Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- Take the seeds from the pumpkin, place into a colander, and rinse till clean.
- Spread the clean seeds on a kitchen towel to air dry, if the seeds are patted dry they will stick.
- Once dry, place on a parchment lined baking tray and flavor your seeds
- I like toss the seeds in a little bit of oil and sprinkle sea salt over them. You can experiment with different spices to suit your taste.
- Roast in an oven at 350F till golden and let cool