Buttermilk biscuits are a staple of the American south, and today we made a cheesy version of this classic. The great thing about a good biscuit recipe is that you can add or change a few ingredients to have a variety of flavors!
If you don't want cheese, leave it out! Alternatively, if you want really cheesy biscuits, add 8 oz of cheese and bake for 5 - 10 minutes longer to ensure they are baked all the way through.
You can also add herbs and cut the dough into slices to make a more scone-like biscuit. Or enjoy these tender flaky biscuits plain with some sausage gravy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 to 6 oz sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put all dry ingredients into mixing bowl, mix well.
- Add cheese, mix to combine.
- Create a well in the center of the mixture, pour milk in, and mix until a loose dough combines.
- Knead dough softly in the bowl to combine any loose flour.
- Turn out onto a work surface and knead a few times to form the dough.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut into the desired shape by pressing down into the dough and pulling straight out, do not twist the cutter.
- Place the cut dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.