Sweden is the inspiration for this week's dish! A Smorgastarta (s-more-gas-tart-ah) is a savory layered sandwich cake. As a baker and lover of new foods I am very excited to try a savory cake and learn about where it is from.
Smorgastarta is a Swedish dish popular in Sweden, Finland, Estonia, and Iceland. The "cake" is typically white or rye bread filled with an egg salad spread along with various other fillings. Popular fillings include caviar, smoked salmon, cold cuts, shrimps, and pate. The cake is then "frosted" and decorated with fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, grapes, or lemon slices, and ingredients reflecting the fillings. A quick image search later and I absolutely had to try this dish out!
I made my smorgastarta with a wheat sandwich bread, egg salad, crab salad, and a riff one of our favorite sushi rolls. I "frosted" the cake with a whipped cream cheese spread and topped it with ingredients referencing or used in the fillings.
I loved the way the dish looks and tasted! I felt it is a whimsical interpretation of a smorgastarta. The fillings were delicious and while I ate all the layers together, my husband preferred eating them separately. I am inspired to make more of this savory cake since it is so easily adapted and customized. The size is easily made larger or smaller based on how the bread slices are cut, and the fillings and bread could be changed to suit any need.
- 8 Slices white sandwich bread
- The fillings:
- Egg Salad
- 2 finely diced boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Crab Salad
- 1/2 cup shredded imitation crab
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Sushi Roll
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- sesame seeds
- cream cheese, to taste
- The "frosting"
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/8 cup mayonnaise
- The garnishes
- Halved and cored cherry tomatoes
- pearl size mozzarella
- Quartered cucumber slices
- Halved lemon slices
- 1 apple
- Remove any crust from the slices of bread and trim all the slices to approximately the same size if uneven.
- For the egg and crab salad fillings: add the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Set each filling aside.
- For the "frosting": Add the cream cheese and mayonnaise to a bowl, whip together until fluffy
- For the garnishes:
- Tomato mushrooms: Trim the mozzarella pearl so it can balance on the cake. Place the tomato half on top of the mozzarella pearl to mimic the mushroom cap
- Apple crab: Slice one quarter of the apple for the body of the crab. Slice another quarter and slice to create crab legs. For the claws, take a thicker slice of an apple quarter and cut two triangles together to shape the claw and arm.
- If desired, place a piece of parchment paper down onto the surface. Begin to assemble the cake by laying two slices of bread next to each other. Layer with the egg salad spread. Top with a layer of bread and spread a layer of cream cheese, sliced cucumber, sliced avocado, and sesame seeds. Add another layer of bread and top with the crab salad. Top with the last two slices of bread.
- With an off set spatula, crumb coat the cake with the cream cheese "frosting", place in the fridge for 15 minutes. Remove from the fridge and cover with the "frosting". If needed make additional batches for a thick layer.
- Top with the tomato mushrooms, cucumber pieces, and assemble the crab. Along the corner of the cake layer lemon slices and fill the gaps with chives to resemble grass. Trim away the visible parchment paper with a sharp knife.
Music credit: My Summer Love